This blanket chest had lost its shine and was looking rather dull. The legs were damaged by wood worm and the top had dried up and split.
The timber was completely stripped off and cleaned up. We then treated it with a woodworm chemical to ensure there weren’t any nasty little surprises left over inside of it. The two front legs were so damaged that they actually fell off when we started glass-papering them. We cut off the rest of the damaged bits and replaced them with new timber to be recoloured to match.
We then applied 3 coats of clear satin varnish which emphasized the natural beauty of the elm grain.
Ready for another 100 years of use!